What does my ultrasound scan test result indicate?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: There is a 14 cm by 17 cm x 11cm cystic lesion in the right hemiabdomen which appears contigouos with the kidney, an exophytic renal cyst. What does that mean ?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Exos mean external to in spite it is part of the kidney = Exophytic

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.
To recapitulate: Male/66 - just found out a cystic lesion of the size of 14 by 17 by 11 cm in right hemiabdomen - contagious with kidney - an exophytic renal cyst - Wants to know the meaning...

I shall try my best to simplify.
Size is in cm as you have noted, it is in the right side of the abdomen. Contagious with kidney means in contact with and the meaning here can be as if coming from the kidney. Exophytic - Exos means external to - Overall meaning is that the cyst appears to be in contact or coming from the right kidney and
has grown outside the kidney although appearing from it.
(the small cysts are usually inside the capsule of the kidney). Here it has come out of the kidney due to its large size.

I hope this answers your query, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 9 hours later
How bad is it. Can it be drained or removed. Is it cancer. Is the kidney going to be OK once I have it treated or removed.

I read someplace that unless it hurts its not something to be worried about Is this true. But its very large.

What else do you think I should know etc.

What do you think I should do or what would you do etc
Brief Answer:
Please follow the instructions given by your treating Doctors.

Detailed Answer:
It is premature to say when I know only the information you have given.
Yes, this is very large and the treatment depends upon the further tests and the opinion of your Urologist, the structures it has affected and so on.
Please consult your Surgeon for further evaluation and management.
You should know the details that the further tests will explore on.
Follow strictly the instructions as will be given by your treating Doctor.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj