Suggest treatment for an enlarged prostate in an elderly person

Dr. V. N. S. Parinam

Posted on Sat, 11 Mar 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hello, is an enlarged prostate 4.8cm x 3.9cm x 4.1cm for a 72 year old man life threatening

Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Mild enlarged prostate

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the query. You had just mentioned the size it would be better to know the volume of the prostate and the level of Serum Prostate Specific antigen (PSA). They help us prognosticate better.

The size mentioned by you is mild increase in size that is extremely common at your age males. Sometimes they do not cause any symptoms as well. Do you have the volume of the prostate? Do you have any symptoms about this like frequency of urine, not able to hold urine or urgency?

In my opinion this would not produce life threatening problem. You seem to have medicine which reduce the symptoms and reduce the size. Hope they are working well.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 6 hours later
U/s abdomen impression:
Prostate gland is enlarged with estimated weight of 40 grams.
Right renal sinus cyst.
diffuse prostatic enlargement.
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
Enlarged prostate

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I think you should not be worried about prostate. This seems mild to moderate enlargement of prostate. This is not life threatening.
I would not comment about renal cyst in the scan.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy