What causes sore throat and sinus pressure after a spinal tap procedure?

Posted on Wed, 19 Apr 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I had a spinal tap last friday.. I got a spinal headache the next day.. sunday i had an emergency blood patch done.. it didn't take.. 2 days later was admitted into hospital n had a second blood patch the 2 days ago which took.. now today i started feeling sick...little bit of a sore throat, nose burning when I breathe, sinus pressure, let ear feels full n pressure which is raditating down my neck into my shoulder, also had some throbbing behind my right eye.. when they did a ct scan n mri they found a large retention cyst on my sinus.. do u think this has anything to do with the blood patch or do u think it's something else..
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Sinus retention cyst

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HealthcareMagic and thanks for putting up the query,

Sinus retention cyst is an incidental finding and hás nothing to do with the spinal tap.

The symptoms of headache, pressure can be due to sinus cyst as well as a complication of spinal tap. If it is due to sinus cyst then it has to be surgically removed.

Any further questions are always welcome.

Thanks and regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 8 minutes later
but I had the blood patch and it took the spinal headache away. the other symptoms have nothing to do with spinal tap correct? could it be a sinus infection?
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Sinus retention cyst

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the follow up query
Yes the other symptoms are due to sinusitis only. Even the sore throat is probably due to that.
Take a nasal spray twice daily and an oral decongestant twice daily for at least 10 days.
Use hexidine gargles.
All the medicines I have prescribed will be available only on prescription.
Your symptoms will definitely improve on the medicines but the ultimate cure is a endoscopic sinus surgery to remove the cyst.
You are always welcome with any further questions.
Takecare
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 11 hours later
is the surgery painful? what's the recovery time frame? do they put you to sleep for this?
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Sinus retention cyst

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the follow up query
Endoscopic sinus surgery is usually done under General anaesthesia. it can be done under local anaesthesia also but sphenoidectomy is done under GA only. Due to the effect of anaesthesia there is no pain.
The impatient time is not more than a week. It can take up to 3 weeks for healing process.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 24 hours later
can sinus infection cause difficultly swallow ing im not in pain. it just feels like i can't clear my throat
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Sinus retention cyst

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the follow up query
Sinus infection can cause throat infection due to a continuous post nasal drip. This this post nasal drip gives the sensation of inability to clear throat.
You can take an oral decongestants and nasal spray twice daily for few days. Do gargles.
This will definitely help you.
Thanksand regards

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist