What does my lab test report indicate?

Dr. Vaishalee Punj

Posted on Tue, 4 Apr 2017 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: hello sir, my wife is 37 weeks 3 days of pregnant ,she is 101 kg weight height 5.2ft overweight.Her report is normal like blood pressure suger .Her docter prescribed her betnosel injection two times.Firat dose at 35 weeks and second dose recently at 37 weeks ,2 injections each time.My concern is when her all reports are normal then why this betnosel ?Also is there any side effects to our baby because of this injection...could you please explain what this injection does?

thanks in advance
xxxxx
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It may be meant for maturity of baby lungs

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Betnesol is usually prescribed for premature babies for faster maturity of lungs. Other reasons for prescription may be allergy, asthma, colitis, lupus disorders, severe itching etc. This is a steroidal injection and is helpful in reducing inflammation in the above cases.

Now I don't know why it has been prescribed in your wife's case. If she does not have any of the above, then there is no need of it. Kindly go back to your gynecologist and check in detail with her. It is your right to know details.

In baby it may cause some temporary imbalance of cortisol secretion in babies. Cortisol is an important endogenous hormone.

Hope it helps. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr Vaishalee