What does my lab test report indicate?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Tue, 28 Mar 2017 in Men's Health
Question: Hello doctor, I am Manoj from tamilnadu. I am married since Aug, 2015. In Feb last year I.e 2016 my dear wife suffered a miscarriage and thereafter for many months we didn't try to conceive because we thought to give my wife some time to bounce back to mental normalcy. Recently last month we decided and tried but my wife didn't conceive. So, I have decided to go for a semen analysis. My report is as follows.
1. Period of abstinence - 3 days.
2. Method of collection - masturbation.
3. Liquefaction time - 30 mins.
4. Quantity - 2 ml
5. Appearance - cloudy
6. colour- greyish white
7. pH of semen - 7.2
8. Viscosity - viscous
9. Fructose - positive

Motility; End of 1/2 hr -82%

End of 1 hr - 78%
End of 2 hr - 75%
End of 3 hr - 72%
Grade of motility - 3-4

Sperm count: 78 millions/ ml

Other findings:
Abnormal forms - 15 to 20% ( mainly constricted headed)
Immature cells : occasional spermatids seen
Pus cells : 2-3 / hpl
Epithelial cells : nil / hpl.

Is the report normal?
Please throw light on the "other findings "?
Is it ok to find occasional spermatids in semen?

Thank you doctor
Have a nice day

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You have Asthanospermia

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for uploading your Semen report .

Based on the report I would state that your sperm count ,viscosity,liquefaction time ,ph ,sperm count etc are well within normal range as compared to WHO standards except motility of sperms .

It is grade one and grade 2 motile sperms which are capable to move forward through cervical canal into uterine cavity and to fertilize female egg to result in to pregnancy .

Your report does not mention about percentage of grade 1 and grade 2 sperms and has mentioned only grade 3-4 motility which suggests suggests that you have what is called as Asthanosprmia which needs to be reconfirmed by repeating semen analysis .

As regards other finding it is within acceptable and normal range.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng