What does my lab test report indicate?

Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am 66 year old white female, 66 1/2 inches tall, weigh 160 lbs. today. One year ago today I weighed 175 lbs., was on high blood pressure meds (Ramipril 5 mg) and on anti-depressant (Citalopram Hydrobromide 20 mg). My blood work last Spring indicated that I was pre-diabetic. My glucose reading was 5.9. A later glucose test indicated that I had dropped that number to 5.7. I recently retired and I have been getting plenty of exercise (walking, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, pickleball) daily. By eating right, exercising, and cutting out most alcohol I have weaned myself off of the HBP meds & the anti-depressant. I am now taking a multi-vitamin, 5HTP (100 mg daily), a Probotic (50,000) & Cal Mag D3. Two days ago, I was at 155 lbs. and my blood pressure was 84 over 64, Pulse 55. Yesterday, I had Oatmeal & Fruit & 1 C of Coffee for breakfast, some carrot juice, pasta & spagetti sauce (w/turkey) and 2 C of raw vegetables for lunch, went X-C skiing for 2 hrs & 15 min & probably did 20 min of stretching before going skiing. Then drove 50 miles to town, had 2 Moscow Mules at the Bar then went to a Concert for 2 hours. The concert got out at 9 p.m. and I was starved so I stopped at McDonalds & got a Quarter Pounder w/cheese, fries & a coke at like 9:15 p.m. then had to drive 50 miles home. This morning my weight went from 155 to 160, and my blood pressure zoomed up to 148 over 107, Pulse 69. WHAT IS IT?? Is it the Alcohol? Is it the calories in a McDonalds Meal? Is it the sodium in a McDonalds Meal? Is it eating too late at night? Is it all of the above? What is it that makes my numbers jump like this?
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
advised urgent extensive physical check upby an intensivist

Detailed Answer:
Hi Kc grimes,
Thanks for the query .I have read it &understood your problem.
Yes the events you describe of the specific day greatly differ from your ideal lifestyle you were undertaking before.( Because of your nutritious low caloric diet/regular workouts &cutting off alcohol.. you got rid of blood pressure medicines.. maintained in considerably at low blood pressure (84/60) all these days.)
I feel all the hectic & extensive moves on the day had caused sudden rise of blood pressure...(from low BP to high BP)upto 147/107! .. due to e tensive physical stress .
Again the sudden rise of body weight to this extent ina single day, can be due to-
- Error in the reading of weight (change of machine/error in reading it )
-Partial rise could be due to -considerably large food serving you took at end of the day... being still in digestive tract.
-I am more concerned about oedema that follows high blood pressure... may be associated with heart involvement/kidney problem... leading to raised body weight so suddenly.
*Having undrstood the probable cause I would advise for urgent extensive physical check up&relevant investigations , to assess the cause &get specific treatment by a physucian.
I hope that answers yourquery. Anyfollow up query is welcome.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy