• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe constipation

Posted on Thu, 3 Aug 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I'm very constipated and it's making it difficult for me to urinate. Just started this evening. I took 60mg of Milk of Mag about a half hour ago. Is there anything else I can do. I'm trying to drink a lot of water.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Considerations

Detailed Answer:
hello and thank you for sending the question.

I am sorry that you're feeling uncomfortable due to the constipation. This is a very common problem. Milk of magnesia should help. You can actually repeat the dose of milk of magnesia every 4 to 6 hours as needed.

If you still find difficulty with constipation you could also try taking an additional stool softener by mouth such as Senokot-S which softens the stool in addition to promoting motility of the stool through your bowels.

maintain good hydration is also important. Also some physical activity may help to promote bowel movement as well such as a brisk walk or short bike ride.

if you continue to have difficulty with constipation despite these considerations I would recommend that you contact your primary care physician for a physical examination and discussion regarding the possible causes of this particular issue.

Thank you again for sending the question.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist