What does my lab test report indicate?

Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Thu, 25 Aug 2016 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: Hi Dr,

Please check my report...

My SGOT LEVEL 52U/L...SGPT LEVEL 88 U/L.....please advise
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need some further details regarding..

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX, Welcome to HCM,

I've gone through your query and understand your concern..

Yes I've gone through your reports and let me assure you that almost all of them are within normal range only..

This range of SGOT and SGPT is marginally elevated, and is still not significant enough to intervene..

Lipid profile and glycemic status are also within normal limits only..

However, there's a borderline elevation of uric acid along with a higher range of Hemoglobin as well as Hematocrit(PCV), so please let me know-

Do you smoke cigarettes ? if yes, how many and since when ?

Are you non vegetarian, do you consume red meat frequently ?

Also what made you undergo for the lab investigations ? is it just a preventive check-up ?

Do you have any past/present medical/surgical ailment ?

Approximately how much water you drink per day ?

Let me know these answers so that I can guide you more specifically..

Awaiting for your response..

Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Arnab Banerjee 1 hour later

Dear Sir,

Thanks for the reply.

Please find the details as required.

Do you smoke cigarettes ? if yes, how many and since when ?----last 12 years No Smoking.

Are you non vegetarian, do you consume red meat frequently ?----Yes Non veg...weekly twice eating RED Meat.

Also what made you undergo for the lab investigations ? is it just a preventive check-up ?-----Yearly 2 check up.

Do you have any past/present medical/surgical ailment ?---- No sir.

Approximately how much water you drink per day ?----- 1.5 litre.
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
follow the advises.. maintain a healthy lifestyle..

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear, Welcome back,
Thanks for following up with these details..

Good to know that your a non smoker..

However, in view of elevated uric acid level, you need to cut down the red meat intake and better to substitute it with lean meat like chicken, fish etc. also try to cut down if there's any alcohol intake (sp. Beer and / liquors)..it'll help to reduce the uric acid level in the long run..

At the same time you need to improve your hydration status, start drinking around 2.5-3 ltr water per day(it's essential), which will not only improve your overall body metabolism but also will help preventing further hemo-concentration (high Hb/PCV)..

Try to avoid restaurant foods, deep fried/junk/salty foods, and include some fresh green vegetables, fresh fruit and juice(freshly squeezed) in your daily diet..

Rest every thing is fine for now..

On your next health check-up do include the CBC, along with Uric acid level after 6 months(preferably 3 months for this two parameters)..

Try to do a bit indoor work-outs(free hand exercises) and some outdoor work outs(20-30 min jogging in the park will do), and if your already doing it then very well..

If despite following all these, there's any rising trend of these parameters in the next check-up, then you need to schedule an appointment with an Internal Medicine specialist for a clinical check-up as well as consideration of uric acid lowering medication (not to worry as of now, just start implementing these advises in your daily routine)..

Let me know if your having any further queries..

Take Care
Kind Regards