What does my bone density scan report indicate?

Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Just had a bone density scan. Result is -2.6. I'm 67 year old male. Don't drink, don't smoke, rarely drink carbonated drinks, cycle, do dome weight bearing exercises, treadmill, elliptical, had a stroke 6 years ago. Eat all the healthy foods, except not much milk. Over the phone told to take Fosamax once a week? Is this a serious bone loss?
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Results indicate mild osteoporosis

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking your question at HealthcareMagic.

T score of -2.6 indicate mild osteoporosis (decrease in bone density ). This is due to age related loss of bone.

I recommend that you continue taking Fosamax as prescribed. Fosamax helps in restoring bone mineral density. Take Fosamax in the morning at least 30 minutes before breakfast with a full glass of water.Sit upright for 30 minutes after talking the medication. If you are on any other medications, take them 30 minutes after fosamax.

I 'd also suggest to discuss with your doctor and see if you need to take calcium supplements along with Fosamax.

Furthermore I'd suggest you on following a healthy life style. Continue eating healthy and exercising regularly.

Hope I was able to answer your question.
Please feel free to address any more concerns
Dr.Lekshmi

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee