• question-icon

What does my blood test report indicate?

Posted on Mon, 13 Nov 2017 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: pacient with folicullar tyrodian cancer papilar form ,full tyrodectomi + iode teraphy (5 years ago ) eutyrox treated ,since 5 years ago all the blood tests were good tsh between 0.46-0.62 ang Tg under 0...this month tsh appeared 4.46..it can be a reccurence of cancer ? when he has done the 4.46 tsh he had a viral infection can this be the cause of the increases tsh ?
Answered by Dr. Elona Xhardo 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No, the TSH level does not mean recurrence of a tumor.

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understood your concern.

The element of the follow up after total thyroidectomy for thyroid Ca are TG level, anti-TG level and Whole body scan(WBS)

It is recommended to take high doses of levothyroxine (Euthyrox) to suppress the TSH near zero because the TSH can cause recurrence of thyroid tissue.

So, the cause of the TSH level may be the incorrect doses of Euthyrox.
It is necessary to increase the doses to suppress your TSH and to have undetectable levels.(nearly zero)

Your TSH level does not mean recurrence but can produce recurrence if it is not suppressed at the maximum.

You have a TG level almost zero.This means that the situation is under control and there are no recurrences.

So, don't worry!

Hope I have clarified your doubts. Feel free to ask further.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Elona Xhardo

Endocrinologist