What does my blood test report indicate?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Sat, 21 Nov 2015 in Elderly Problems
Question: can you look at the blood works
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
there are some things to discuss here

Detailed Answer:

I've taken a look at the report and also checked some elements of your medical history by peeking at other questions you've asked. There are some values that require your doctor's attention.

You vitamin D levels are borderline normal, so you'd better try to increase vitamin D consumption or sun exposure which is a very efficient way to produce more of it.

You vitamin B12 levels are rather low and although not lower than the lowest normal value, at this level they may affect your blood cells and other tissues. There is a lot of B12 in meat. Gastric cancer may affect its absorption though.

Your immunoglobulin M is low but it may occur in malignancies. Immunoglobulin are important for the immune defense of the body. You can't do anything to raise it.

Your high sensitivity CRP is also higher than the cut-off value but this is an expected finding and there are no well-documented uses of this finding in regard to changes in the patient's treatment.

Finally your PSA levels may suggest an increased risk for prostate cancer (about 35%). The PSA is not a diagnostic test, so you should consult your urologist for further assessment. Sometimes a high PSA indicates prostate inflammation.

I hope you find my comments helpful!
You can contact me again, if you'd like any clarification or further information.

Kind Regards!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 11 minutes later
Dr risk for prostate, how can it be done none invasive some people say not to do anything because of age 73
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you should be diagnosed first

Detailed Answer:
Before proceeding with treatment plans you'll need a diagnosis. Although there is a 35-40% risk for prostate cancer, there is also a 60-65% chance of not having cancer. Besides that prostate cancer is not always aggressive and conservative treatment constitutes a reasonable choice. A biopsy would be very useful for treatment decisions.

Kind Regards!