Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
136 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

What does my abdominal ultrasound report indicate?

Answered by
Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :1969

Answered : 2462 Questions

Posted on Thu, 13 Apr 2017 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: I got some tests done recently due to my some blood cells found in my routine urine test. i have been diagnosed as having hematuria. Further I had an abdominal ultrasound and they found I have developed cholecystitis. I have heriditary anemia (thalassemia major to be precise), and this is causing my hemoglobin to drop more than it usually does and my transfusion frequency has increased. Is there a treatment for cholecystitis ??? what shuld I do. Please provide with your valuable feedback.

A year or so back I had two episodes of upper Gl bleeding (through faeces) and was advised to underwent upper endoscopy which revealed few varices that had caused bleed, and the doc. that supervised had band-ligated up these varices during the same endoscopy procedure. I never had a bleeding episode again. I am on PPI/pentapropazole (pentocid 20) and on Carvedilol (Cardivas 3.125 mg)

Now its the hematuria thats troubling me.
I also have chronic hepatitis C (developed 15 years ago , treated with interferon but was relapsed 9 years ago and have developed liver cirrhosis (revealed by Non-invasive ultraound like technolgy, cant remember the exact procedure), Cirrhosis was diagnosed about 1-1.5 years back. but could be persistent for longer times As is the case with many of thalassemic majors due to iron depost and irregular chelation such as mine.

Lately I have some discomfort (funny feeling, soft ) in my upper left abdomen ( below the chest....just above the stomach line)

Can you help me????
Please guide me what test or procedures to be done or if any specialist needs to be seen.
What is the treatment of cholecystitis?????
I have a plethora of ongoing medical issues......but believe this is the priority. Being in XXXXXXX it is not easy to meet the right Doc. (My history - was in US for over 7 years and returned to XXXXXXX about 3 years ago......thus m trying to identify online help)

Thanks for your patience !
Answered by Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your question on HCM

I do understand your pain and discomfort

As per your history is concerned let us discuss each and every points which you have raised so start from cholecystitis-

For it your treating doctor will advise you following investigations -:

(a)full blood count with differential to ruled out infection

(b)Ultrasound examination of liver and gall bladder for gall stones

c)HIDA scan which is called as hepatobiliary iminodiacetic acid it tracks the production and flow of bile from your liver to your small intestine and shows blockage.

For treatment you have to take admission at hospital if you have diagnosed with it. Treatments include-

(a)you may not be allowed to eat or drink at first in order to take stress off your inflamed gallbladder. So that you do not become dehydrated, you may receive fluids through a vein in your arm.

(b)if your gallbladder is infected your treating doctor will recommend you antibiotics like ceftriaxone in IV

(c)pain medication is required if there is severe pain

Within 2-3 days you will feel better and if it comes again please discuss with your general surgeon regarding removal of gall bladder which is called as LAPARASCOPIC[CHOLECYSTECTOMY]. "After" it you can do few things at home-

(a)Make a plan to reduce your weight

(b)Do exercise and eat well

(c)Choose a diet high in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains and try to avoid fats

For [hematuria] please check urinary infection, kidney stones, prostate infection and Upper Urinary Tract Obstruction for it you have to do a detail clinical examination if ultrasound already done.

I hope i answered all questions as required by you, please let me know if you have any doubt which you want to clarify further.

Wish you a good health

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Thalassemia major

doctor1 MD

What is the treatment for this ?

doctor1 MD

Hi I'm a 39 old woman and I've got to know I have th minor, but I'm a little confused myHb is 10.7 row 17.5 but mcg much are low so what th is it....

doctor1 MD

Dr Vineet, my name is Daniel Nicolae from Romania. I contacted you because i strongly need your oppinion regarding my blood analysis...

doctor1 MD

Hi, my boyfriend has a diagnosis of thalassaemia minor, although has not seen a medical professional with regards to it in a few years. He s...

doctor1 MD

Hi, I am thallasimia major patient and got irregularity in my periods from last 6-7 years though it got started at right time and in a right way. I...

doctor1 MD

hi, my name is zehra jawed and i m Thalassemia Major, my is 24 years old, and i m having my blood transfusion at Aga Khan Hospital in...