Is beta thalassemia curable?

Dr. Remy Koshy

Posted on Fri, 20 Jan 2017 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: What is the treatment for this ?
Answered by Dr. Remy Koshy 25 hours later
Brief Answer:
Requires a few details related

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for posting your query,

Kindly repost your query with the present status of the baby, the current symptoms, any recent investigations if done,, so that I may have a look and guide your further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Remy Koshy 1 hour later
Hello Madam,
Baby is good now and active. Is Beta Thallassemia is cureable ? What is the treatment for this disease ?

Thanks,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Remy Koshy 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Duely explained below..

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing back,

Beta thalassemia is a disorder which involves the production of abnormal hemoglobin. There are two kinds of thalassemia- thalassemia minor (heterozygous) where only one beta globin chain is affected; thalassemia major (homozygous) where both the beta globin chains are affected.

Children born with homozygous trait will be normal at birth, will only begin to develop symptoms after the first year of life.

The treatment options available are blood transfusion, folic acid supplementation, iron chelators for chelation of iron overload from blood transfusion. In later stages, ideal candidates can be taken up for bone marrow transplantation. Also gene therapy is another worthwhile option where nor al beta chain gene could be inserted.

Hope I have answered to your answer,

Please feel free to revert back or else kindly close and give your feedback.

Follow up: Dr. Remy Koshy 13 minutes later
Thank you for your answer. Pls close
Answered by Dr. Remy Koshy 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Warm regards

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

You are welcome.

Only you will be able to close the query if you do not have any further queries.

Wishing good health
Prayers

Dr. Remy