What does low heart rate at night indicate?

Dr. Meriton Siqeca

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 14 Sep 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Good evening, I am getting ready for bed and took the attached EKG. Currently taking Xarelto as I was recently in A-Fib. My FitBit is grabbing heart rates as low as 52 BPM during my sleep. Is this OK? Just want to double check.
Answered by Dr. Meriton Siqeca 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Normal heart beat during sleep

Detailed Answer:
Greetings and welcome to HCM. I understand your concern.

Yes, these are normal heart beat figures during the nighttime period of sleep. You see, during the major period of sleeping, there is a predomination of the parasympathetic (vagal) tone, which reflects the deep resting state of the brain and the organism. Heart rate may drop even to 40 beats per minute, and as long as there are no pauses or conduction blocks in the heart electrical system registered, this is considered totally normal. Therefore, I recommend you not to be worried about this finding.

I hope my answer is helpful. I am happy to help, if you have follow-up questions.

Kind regards,
Dr. Meriton
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj