What does it mean if your feet and ankles are swollen?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2018
Feb 2018

General Surgeon
Question
I have swollen feet and ankles. I am not overweight.
Thu, 7 Jun 2018 in Lump

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Anemia, hypoproteinemia are the commonest causes

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.
Noted the history well and understood your concerns.
Considering the age of 90, history of only Lipitor and recovery from Myeloma treatment the causes of swollen feet and ankles I can think of are as follows:
General causes like anemia, hypoproteinemia.
Dependent edema of feet and ankles become more common with advancing age.
I hope you do not have any problems related to heart, kidneys or liver the disease of which also can cause swelling.
Please get investigated accordingly to find the cause and get treated as per the cause found to have definite treatment.
Till then elevate the lower limbs wherein the affected parts should be above heart level as this will help the edema to reduce.
Increase the foods and supplements for iron, protein and multivitamins with mineral.
I hope this answer helps you.
Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.
Please give feedback.