What does increase in CEA level after chemotherapy indicate?

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Cancer
Question: Have a colon cancer step 4. Am following a chimiotherapy since 5 years.my CEA level jumped to 256 today. what does it mean. is it dangerous? How long do i have
Answered by Dr. Monish De 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
pet scan

Detailed Answer:
HI

Since the CEA level has gone upto 256 and you are suffering from stage 4 colon cancer and you are on chemotherapy i would advise you to do a pet scan

Your disease may have progressed and that is why the pet scan is needed to assess the present condition of your disease and you may need second line chemotherapy

Average survival time with chemotherapy is 5 years

Dr De
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Monish De 1 hour later
Thanks for you answer
What do you mean by second line chemotherapy?
Answered by Dr. Monish De 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Second line chemotherapy with targeted therapy

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Second line chemotherapy means using different chemotherapy drugs that you have been presently using

Targeted therapy can also be added to chemotherapy which may increase your survival more than 5 years

If you let me know which chemotherapy drugs you have been using then i could help you out better

You can ask me your queries directy about which second line chemotherapy drugs and targeted therapy will increase your survival more than 5 years

If you have no more clarifications then please rate the answer and close the thread

Dr De
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Monish De

Oncologist