What does high IgG value indicate?
Here are the following ranges for the tests.
Equivocal 0.91 - 1.09
My results were negative for HSV 2 on all tests.
The first test was taken after approximately 6 weeks of exposure.
My results on the first test (IgG only) was HSV 1 = 15.1 High. No IgM was taken.
I took a second test 2 weeks later.... approximately 8 weeks after exposure.
The second test I took was both an IgM and IgG test. I was NEGATIVE for IgM HSV1 and HSV2 and POSITIVE for IgG HSV1. The IgG HSV 1 value was 13.6 HIGH.
My IgG values are higher than I have seen on any of the forums I have looked at. Why are they so high? Does a higher IgG value mean the infection is relatively recent and immune system is highly active or does it indicate that I have built up a high level of antibodies and that it is an old infection? Why did the lab value change over the course of two weeks. Again, I have not seen values this high anywhere I have looked. Please share your clinical experience and understanding about lab values.
Lastly, I have read that IgM antibodies are often undetected after 4-8 weeks. Is this accurate or are they typically detectable for a longer period of time. I am trying to decipher approx how long ago this infection was. Basically, I want to get a sense whether it was >6-8 months ago or within the last 2-3 months.
Thank you for your time.
Values not indicating the severity of the disease.
Welcome to HCM.
Thanks for posting your query.
First of all, I want to stress that HSV 1 is not necessarily transmitted through sex contact. You are negative for HSV 2. That means you are not having sexually transmitted HSV infection.
Regarding the test result Your HSV 1 IgM is negative and Ig G is positive. That means your HSV 1 is not a recent infection. By the values, it is not indicating how old the infection is. As you pointed out, individual (immune system) body reacts differently. No blood values inside our body remain static.
Technician's observation and expression may have variations. You need not bother about how much the value was. Only to note whether positive or not. Definitely the raised values are not indicating the severity of the disease. I hope that I am clear and you got my point.
IgM HSV antibody will disappear after 8 weeks.
IgM antibody would disappear after 6-8 weeks after the Herpes infection. IgG will present for many years after 8 weeks.
You would understand the difference between the recent infection and the old infection.
Dr S XXXXXXX
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Itching on penis and sides of it. What medication is recommended?
- Red rashes appeared on penis head. Tested negative for STD. On...
- Red burning scrotum. Taking Gabapin with no relief. Need immediate cure
- Hair fall, burning, hurting, itchy scalp with intermittent occurrence of...
- Itching sensation around vaginal area, used wipes. Butt is itching,...
- Dark spot on organ, rashes, itchy at night, may be syphilis
- Stomach rash, itchy, not taking medication, no change in diet. Any...
- Small rounds in skin below neck, sometimes itchy. What medication should...
- Diagnosed with molluscum contagiosum in pubic region, cryotherapy done....
- How soon am I contagious after having contact with herpes? How long...