What does fever with high white blood cells count suggest?

Dr. Nagamani Ng

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi, I've had a fever since December 6, so approx. 8 1/2 months. It ranges anywhere from 99.0 F to 101 F on a regular basis, with occasional spikes to anywhere between 102 F and 104 something F, once even hitting 105 F. I've had blood tests and at first they came back with a high white blood cell count but now they are normal, yet I still have the fever. They've ruled out Epstein-Barr and Thyroid and a couple other things that I can't remember. They can't figure it out and it's kind of scaring me. Besides the fever, I'm mostly just tired. When it goes up to 101+ I get really bad chills but usually I just feel kind of foggy and lethargic. Have you or anyone you know seen this before? Please help me.

Thanks,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Nagamani Ng 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Fever of unknown origin.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HCM,
The condition you are suffering from is called fever of unknown origin.
But Through investigations has to be made like CT chest and abdomen.
Blood tests for lymphomas and leukemias.
Autoimmune disorders like vasculitis, arthritis and lupus should be ruled out.
Upload the reports, so that we can help you to figure out
You should get the culture of body fluids like blood, gastric secretions and sputum.

Along with the fever have you lost weight and having chronic cough?

Do get back for the follow up.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Follow up: Dr. Nagamani Ng 9 hours later
They did several types of blood tests but I don't have copies of them. My doctor said they looked perfectly normal though. No, I have not lost weight, nor have I had a chronic cough. I've just had the fever and some tiredness- and chills when it goes high enough. It should be noted that my normal temperature is approx. 97.3 F so a 99 F is actually a fever for me. In recent months, the fever has usually only gone up when I've been in high stress situations like finals or high intensity work days on the ranch. But then it usually comes back down again to the 99-100-something F region after a few days.
Answered by Dr. Nagamani Ng 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
check for auto immune disorders.

Detailed Answer:
In your case i find it not to be a cause of infection. As the fever is raising in stress condition. It would mostly be due to auto immune conditions, which are usually not tested as a first line diagnostic tests. Hence i suggest you to get them tested along with CT scan of chest and abdomen.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj