What does a soft spot on back of the skull indicate?

Dr. Mukesh Chugh

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: Hi my 9 year old son has cellulitis in his leg due to some green fly bites. Our doctor has prescribed antibiotics and antihistamines. This started yesterdaytoday, so tonight I was checking him for ticks I noticed a soft spot on the back of his skull that made his scalp feel loose. He said his head hurt. Just wondering could it be related to cellulitis or maybe just from a bump? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is a common bump

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for posting
I have gone through your query carefully and understand your concern. The soft spot on skull is most likely a bump as it lack all sign and symptoms of Infection (Inflammation) like redness, warm and tender to touch.
As he is already on medicine for cellulitis in leg, he does not need any other medicine.
All you can do is Ice fomentation at scalp site.

Hope this helps to allay your fear.

Follow up: Dr. Mukesh Chugh 21 hours later
Thank you so much you totally put my mind at ease its just about gone now.
Brief Answer:
Thanks

Detailed Answer:
Hi
It's good to see you
Thanks for the nice words.If you have further query I shall be glad to answer them or you may please close the present discussion.
Wishing him early recovery and good health.