question-icon

How can ankle pain from cellulitis be treated after finishing the antibiotic course?

Posted on Tue, 15 May 2018
Question: My father is 84 years old for the past month he has been complaining of severe ankle pain and some swelling. He had an x-Ray then we went to his doctor and he said he had cellulitis, he prescribed an antibiotic and 800mg ibuprofen and to keep his foot up and stay off of it as much as possible. He has finished his antibiotic and the swelling has gone down some. However this morning the swelling is back and he is complaining of a severe stabbing pain. What should we do next?
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel (20 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Restart treatment and get a MRI of ankle/foot.

Detailed Answer:
Hi I am Dr Gopal Goel Orthopedic Surgeon.
It seems that he has some kind of infection in ankle and foot which was partly relieved by antibiotics and has come back after stopping antibiotics.
You have not mentioned any x ray finding or duration of illness/ antibiotic course.
I would recommend MRI of the affected part to rule out any bony infection . Bone infection may involve surgery.
In the meantime continue antibiotic and pain killer + limb elevation of pillows.
Hope to hear from you with MRI Report.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Gopal Goel

Orthopaedic Surgeon