What does a red and itchy patch on the right side of the chest indicate?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 4 Apr 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello Doctor,
This is regarding my 2 and half year old son. We notice a patch on his right chest skin (see the photo attached). It's there since last 4/5 days. He doesn't show any itching symptom or any botheration at all, neither we observe it to be spreading as such. I'm not sure what could have caused it, he always wears quite clean and dry clothes. Kindly advise if we need to worry about it, thank you in advance!
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Eczematous dermatitis. Use a moisturizer and a topical steroid

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I am dr.kakkar (dermatologist).
I have gone through your query and I have viewed the image.
I can see a patch of eczematous dermatitis. The cause for it is underlying dryness of skin which can manifest as dry, red, rough, scaly patches on skin. The patches are usually itchy.
I suggest you to use a moisturizer for his skin, 2x daily e.g Atogla cream/lotion. Specifically over the patch you may use a moderately potent topical steroid cream e.g Flutivate cream, 2x daily for 2 weeks. Continue with the moisturizer even after the patch resolves to prevent future recurrence. Use a mild soap for bath e.g Tedibar or Oilatum soap.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad