What does a painful lump on upper cheekbone indicate?

Excellent

ENT Specialist
Question
Upper cheekbone and just below eye, not on eyelid, there is a small painful pebble sized lump that moves when touched along with possible sinus infection. Thanks for your help :)
Posted Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please see the answer below...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query.

The swelling below the eyelid could be either an inflamed lymph node or an infected cyst. I doubt any relation between the swelling and the sinusitis.

Lymph node is a reactionary swelling to the infection in the surrounding region. It is like a policeman of our body, which indicates an ongoing infection.

Secondly, a cyst (fluid filled sac) can be formed when the glands below the skin gets obstructed. The cyst may get infected, thus causing pain on touch.

In either of the case, you will require an oral antibiotic and a pain killer to reduce the inflammation and infection. Please consult your doctor for a complete evaluation to rule out the causes and the management.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: What does a painful lump on upper cheekbone indicate? 7 hours later
This is most likely nothimg serious?

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No this does not seem serious...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing back.

No, this does not seem serious. As I mentioned in my previous response, try taking oral antibiotics, you will start feeling better.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon