Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
193 Doctors are Online

What does a painful lump on upper cheekbone indicate?

User rating for this question
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2349 Questions
Upper cheekbone and just below eye, not on eyelid, there is a small painful pebble sized lump that moves when touched along with possible sinus infection. Thanks for your help :)
Posted Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please see the answer below...

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting the query.

The swelling below the eyelid could be either an inflamed lymph node or an infected cyst. I doubt any relation between the swelling and the sinusitis.

Lymph node is a reactionary swelling to the infection in the surrounding region. It is like a policeman of our body, which indicates an ongoing infection.

Secondly, a cyst (fluid filled sac) can be formed when the glands below the skin gets obstructed. The cyst may get infected, thus causing pain on touch.

In either of the case, you will require an oral antibiotic and a pain killer to reduce the inflammation and infection. Please consult your doctor for a complete evaluation to rule out the causes and the management.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What does a painful lump on upper cheekbone indicate? 7 hours later
This is most likely nothimg serious?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No this does not seem serious...

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

No, this does not seem serious. As I mentioned in my previous response, try taking oral antibiotics, you will start feeling better.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor