What does a large lump above te knee indicate?

Dr. Divya Agarwal

Rheumatologist

Posted on Wed, 20 Aug 2014 in Lupus
Question: Could a lipoma be related to morphea/ lipodermasclerosis?

The other day I noticed a large lump above my knee on the side of my thigh.
It has definate delination and long shape. It is somewhat soft in its largest part.
It did not show on a sono but you could see it. Its the size of my hand. No pain.

The dermatologist looked at it and thought it might be a lipoma same as hemotologist/oncologist.

Could this be something other than a lipoma that wouldnt show on a sono?
Could it be a collogen deposit?

The sono dr recommends an mri.

If it matters, i now have red inflamed soles of my feet, pain worse with touch, itching, dizzy at times, and lose my balance. My morphea "bruises" have increased. There are now more red spots on my legs.

Are these all related?

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Looks like a lipoma

Detailed Answer:
hi,
From what you are describing it looks more like a lipoma.
They are generally not related to morphea or SLE.
It could be a chance that both the conditions are occuring simultaneously.
The rash you are describing could on the other hand be related to SLE/morphea.
Morphea as you know is a sclerotic lesion so should not be giving rise to soft swellings.
Yes probably an MRI would be the best option to decipher the cause.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Divya Agarwal 45 minutes later
would a collagen deposit show on a sono is it mushy like a lipoma?Could my chest pain be related to any of my conditions?
Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
See below

Detailed Answer:

Chest pain in patients with SLE may be caused by pleuritis which is generally picked up on a CT scan.
The other causes may be costochondritis which is an inflammation at the junction of ribs and cartilage, which may produce a severe pain.

Collagen deposits generally have a definite etiology like morphea and should be picked up on sonography.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj