What does a high leukocyte esterase count of 25 indicate?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Wed, 10 Jan 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I recently had bladder surgery and it was diagnosed as a CIS O staged tumour ..Yesterday I had a Urinalysis test done and my results came back as having a high Leukocyte esterase count of 25 ... What does this mean ?? I am having a cystoscopy test done Dec. 8th for further evaluation .. What does all this mean to me ??
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
usually indicates the presence of an infection

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Leukocyte esterase is made by white blood cells, it is usually an indicator of infection or inflammation.

It can sometimes be found in very small quantities in the urine but high quantities usually indicate that there is a source of inflammation present.
If the surgery was very recent the presence of the leukocytes may indicate that the area is still inflamed but your doctor may still want to give you a course of antibiotics in case an infection is present

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions