What does a high alkaline phosphatase level mean?

Question
Hello my alkaline phosphate was in normal range in April 2017. My alkaline phosphate jumped to 158 in October 2017 and that’s when I also found out I had hyperthyroidism as well. My internal medicine doctor started me on 40mg Methimazole (Tapazole) a day. I took that for a month but became itchy. I then took 20mg a day and felt better. December 2017 my alkaline phosphate jumped to 233. My doctor never told me of these jumps and never mentioned me being in an abnormally high range. I just recently checked my lab records and noticed it. I have yet to see an endocrinologist but will be in a few weeks. What do you suggest I do about the alkaline phosphate? My T3 and T4 are now in the normal range and my TSH is <0.01. My doctor told me to keep taking the 20mg of methimazole but I’m depressed and crying so two days ago I lowered it to 10mg a day. Any suggestions?
Tue, 12 Jun 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Get ultrasound liver and biliary tract

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, nothing is of that dangerous intensity to be worried about this much. Your thyroid is well under control and is diagnosed in time as well.

Having a thyroid scan isn't a bad idea though to look for cause of hyperthyroidism and rule out any aggressive condition. Alkaline phosphatase can be high as normal variant but with your age group gall stones or CBD lesions should be ruled out and a detailed liver functions follow up, ANA levels and ultrasound liver, and CBD can be next plan of action.

Drink more amount of water and get calcium and phosphate levels checked. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Regards