question-icon

What does a distortion in the mammogram result mean?

Posted on Fri, 6 May 2016
Question: My wife had a mammogram last week and today was informed that they found a distortion. They want her to come back to do another mammogram and ultrasound.
My wife had breast cancer four years ago and had the 2.54" tumor removed followed by radiation and chemo.
What could this distortion be?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Considerations

Detailed Answer:
Hello & thank you for submitting your question.

It is difficult to determine what the "distortion" represents without the diagnostic findings of the report. Changes detected by mammorgraphy could be due to cyst formation, scar tissue formation, or growth.

Additional imaging studies will hopefully further characterize the nature of the distortion (such as cyst vs mass). Re-biopsy may be considered depending of the findings. It is very important to follow up with the additional imaging studies.

I know it is incredibly difficult to wait, however at this point no definitive answers can be provided. The imaging studies will help clarify what the next steps will be for establishing a definitive diagnosis and how to proceed.

Sincerely,
Dr Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist