What do white bumps on penis indicate?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
Hello, last week I noticed a "white head" looking thing just under my penis head, I poped it and then noticed a few days later 2 bumps on the right sidr of my penis by the base of the shaft. I tried to pop them and just got a lot of blood; however they seem yo be going away now (see image). now this week, I shaved and noticed another group of about 4 bumps. I also tried to pop them to days ago, once again, just lots of blood and a some clear stuff. 1 of them does appear to have a yellowish color. what do I have? and what over the counter stuff works on it?
Posted Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Herpes genitalis

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to healthcaremagic

I am Dr. Kakkar. I have gone through your query and I have understood it.

I have also looked at the Images. This looks like Herpes Genitalis.

Grouped, discrete, bumps/erosions with history of recurrence clinches the diagnosis. Herpes genitalis is commonly caused by HSV type 2 virus and less commonly by type 1 HSV. Herpes genitalis is an STD, the virus having been acquired by close intimate/sexual contact with an infected partner.

I would suggest an oral antiviral e.g Acyclovir 400 mg thrice daily for 5 days OR Famciclovir 125 mg twice daily for 5 days.

Topically you can apply an OTC antibacterial ointment e.g either mupirocin ointment or neosporin ointment, twice daily.

Follow-up: What do white bumps on penis indicate? 11 minutes later
could this just be molluscum? I have a few more pictures. is this permanent?

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Herpes genitalis

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I have looked at again. This does'nt look like Molluscum.

Herpes genitalis can have recurrences however the frequency of recurrences can vary. The frequency of recurrences decreases as the infection becomes older but the infection/virus always stays inside the body.