What do unexplained bruises under the arms indicate?

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Sat, 25 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have bruises under my arms and the inside of my thighs. Have not fallen or anything that would explain .
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
?? Bleeding disorder, liver disease, nutritional def?

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help.

Bleeding without any injury or apparent trauma can occur due to a few underlying conditions which I shall list out for your reference:

+Bleeding or coagulation disorders: I recommend a bleeding and coagulation profile

+Liver abnormalities: Requires a liver function test (blood test) and/or accompanied by an ultrasound scan of the abdomen and pelvis

+Side effect of medications: Please let me know if you are on any medications

+Nutritional deficiencies: Especially vitamin K deficiency

and a few other causes.

I would recommend a visit to your physician who will take a few blood samples, and should be able to find the cause so we can address it accordingly ma'am.

I hope you find my response helpful. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee