What do these FBS and PPBS values indicate?

Dr. Abhay A Mali

Diabetologist

Posted on Sat, 10 Sep 2016 in Diabetes
Question: Diabetology: Dear Doctor, I have a persisting doubt about the fasting bloodsugar levels of mine .I am 73 year old male. Ever since i was diagnosed with type II diab etes (NDDM) in 2011, i was given 500 mg glycomet in the morning and 250 mg during night.for 3 years i have taken this dosage. As my fasting levels are not coming down to less than 110 (actually the levels oscillates between 115 and 125 right from the begning) i have been asked to take 500 mg glycomet (plain) during night and 500 mg during day time.Even then my fasting levels have not shown any decrease because of the change in dosage. In 2009 also when i was not diagnosed, diabetes the fasting level is 119 and today as on 25th aug also the fasting level is 119.My question is why the fasting level did not decrease inspite of increase in dosage.however the pp levels are below 140.whats the reason? In case if shift to 500 mg SR in place of 500 mg plain will there be any change in fasting levels?I walk for 4 km every day and i take two chapathis during night.Kindly analyse my situation and advise
Answered by Dr. Abhay A Mali 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Don't focus only on Fasting blood sugar level.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question.
Noted your concern.

Your Fasting blood sugar can be considered as within target considering your age.
Also your post-prandial blood sugar levels are absolutely within target.

I may suggest you to check your HbA1c level which is a better guide of blood sugar control.
Depending upon HbA1c level any changes in medicines can be suggested.

Till then follow diabetic diet and regular exercise.

Hope this helps you.

Dr Abhay Mali.
Diabetologist.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Abhay A Mali 1 hour later
Dear Doctor
My HB A1 c level as on 25th aug 2016 i.e is 6.4..please advise
Answered by Dr. Abhay A Mali 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Very good blood sugar control.

Detailed Answer:
HbA1c of 6.4 for a diabetes of duration 5 to 6 years denotes a very good control of diabetes.
Do follow your current medicines along with diabetic diet and regular exercise.
I may suggest you to monitor your fasting and post-prandial blood sugar levels once in 2 months and HbA1c quarterly.

Also once a year screening for diabetic complications -
- Lipid Profile.
- Renal function test including urine albumin creatinine ratio.
- Fundoscopy for diabetic retinopathy.
- Diabetic foot examination.
- Evaluation of heart and brain function if required (if symptoms present).

Hope this helps you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar