• question-icon

What causes diabetic neuropathy in the feet?

Posted on Wed, 2 Aug 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have diabetic neuropathy in my feet although my blood sugar levels are always 5.8-6.0. I also have Addison's disease. Recently, I developed a blister on my little toe that was healing fine. I woke up to find it bleeding slightly and my toe was half dark red, the other half a greyish black. What should I do? Also, can neuropathy in the feet be reversed or improved? If so, could you please explain how? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
See a doctor immediately!

Detailed Answer:

You have diabetic foot and you must see a doctor immediately. All such wounds must be aggressively managed as they become difficult and may lead to invasive surgical procedures. With neuropathy, you are unable to feel the pain and may think it i s a minor problem. It is not and actually requires immediate and aggressive medical care.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be. You may also upload an image of the wounds for review.

To upload an image, simply click on the link to upload a file and follow the instructions. If this proves difficult, please send the image by mail to YYYY@YYYY and request that the image should be uploaded to your query.

I do promise to get back to you with more insights and helpful recommendations as soon as the requested information gets here.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Chobufo Ditah