What do the following ALT and AST levels indicate?

Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Ast 48 & ALT 73 (u/L) Today ( changed medications since 6 months)
ASt 39 @ ALT 57 ( July 2016) ( Normal range for both <40 )

Cholesterol 3 (today ) and 2.5 before changing medication and Tri 1.8 today and 1.5 before changing medication and HDL 0.7 both times and LDL 1.5 today and 1.1 before changing medication.

US- fatty liver done sometime back.

What do you reckon about the alt/ast levels and would you be concered? also could it be due to changed medication?? Sicne not much change for lipids shoud I go back to 10/40 ezitimibe/atorovastin??
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Following advice

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking!
I read your query and understood your concerns.

After reviewing the data you provided I would like to say that your cholesterol levels although are within wanted normal parameters are slightly deteriorating (compare with previous 6 months).

Moreover due to the increased dose of atorvastatin this six months the AST and ALT levels are both increased which show a slightly increased liver cell damage which is major side effects of atorvastatin.

However you shouldn't worry about those findings it's just a side effects of the increased dose that it should be gradually return to the previous levels after switching to the previous dose.

This is why I strongly recommend that you should switch to ezitimibe/atorvastatin 10/40 mg combination.

Hope this will be of help!
Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu