What do symptoms of HIV indicate despite negative test results?

Excellent

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Question
Hi I had an exposure over 25 years ago recently due to symptoms I tested for hiv 3 times 4th generation tests and I am negative my wife who I am with for 14 years also tested negative are my symptoms not related to late stage hiv or would that have been picked up by the test my dr assured mr cbc is normal so there is no chance as my immune system is working and would still produce antibodies
Wed, 13 Jun 2018 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please don't worry, you are free of HIV!

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for writing to HealthcareMagic.

Based on your history, having a risky exposure 25 years ago and 3 times negative results of 4th generation HIV test you shouldn't worry because you are free of HIV.

Furthermore, the fact that your wife has also a negative result of 4th gen HIV test, emphasizes again that you are HIV negative.

So your recent symptoms are not related to HIV infection.

I hope my answer helps you.

Follow-up: What do symptoms of HIV indicate despite negative test results? 11 minutes later
I have read that you loose antibodies at late stage is this true also would my cbc be affected by now

Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes in the late stage the CBC will be affected .

Detailed Answer:
Thank you writing back.

You should know that in the late stage of AIDS the WBC and lymphocit are low as well CD4.

I hope my answer helps you.
Regards.

Follow-up: What do symptoms of HIV indicate despite negative test results? 8 minutes later
Before I did the test my white cell count was 9.2 which means it’s within range

Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This is a normal value of WBC.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you writing back.

Please don't worry this is a normal value of WBC and it is means that your immunity is not affected.

I hope my answer helps you.
Regards.

Follow-up: What do symptoms of HIV indicate despite negative test results? 17 minutes later
SO it would definitely show up on my 4th gen test

And my symptoms are most likely psychosomatic like my psychiatrist and dr has suggested

Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes your symptoms are not related to HIV.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you writing back.

Yes a 4 th generation test after 25 years is definitly very accurate and conclusive.
Your symptoms are absolutly not related to HIV like your doctor and psychiatrist sad you.
You are free of HIV.

I hope my answer helps you.
Regards.

Follow-up: What do symptoms of HIV indicate despite negative test results? 9 minutes later
Your 2nd opinion has definitely put my mind at ease thanks so much as you are a specialist in this field I do not need to go elsewhere thanks

Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcomed.

Detailed Answer:
I am happy to hear this from you.

You are welcomed.
Regards.

Follow-up: What do symptoms of HIV indicate despite negative test results? 19 hours later
So if I say I have lymph nodes around my body gastric problems feeling hot and sweaty mouth ulcers weakness in limbs hiv is still not my problem

Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 25 hours later
Brief Answer:
These are not related to HIV.

Detailed Answer:
I am sorry for my late response.

These symptoms absolutely are not related with HIV infection in your case( based on your history).
You should know that not only HIV can cause these symptoms.

I hope my answer helps you.
Regards.