• question-icon

What do severe back pain and ESR of 50 indicate?

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: My mom name XXXX age 56 . I hope you remember . Thanks a lot for your answers which you made before This is just a follow up question but I will give you a sum up of all the things which happened before My mom had severe back pain .After diagnosis they found that it is spine TB and since the bone erosion is more they planned for spine surgery and they kept more than 10 screws in the spine and it was done in the month of February she don't have pain now.She is able to walk good . Now she started sitting for more than three hours a day . The problem when she sits more than 1 hr continuously . when she wake up she is feeling something kind off heaviness in the operated area which is making her to feel uncomfortable . We took her for the routine check up a couple of weeks back doctors took X-ray and said everything is normal . At that time of tesing her CRP is negative and the bilirubin and all blood counts are normal but ESR is 50 / hr can you please let us know whether she should be taken to hospital immediate or is it something normal
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be a normal finding.

Detailed Answer:
A mild heaviness in the area of surgery can be a normal finding. This can happen due to a mild swelling in the local soft tissues. The raised ESR can be due to the TB infection. She needs to continue taking the medicines for TB regularly as bone TB is slow to heal. She may need to have the medicines for one year before she will feel fit again.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon