What do recurrent episodes of headaches indicate?

Dr. Rahul Tawde

Posted on Tue, 14 Mar 2017 in Headache and Migraines
Question: I have had two episodes of terrible headache that I have never experienced before. I had MRI: Multiple foci of T2 hyperintensity within the sub cortical white matter consistent with either small vessel ischaemic change or post migranous phenomen.
I had an answer from this site not to do anything and the same from my GP
however last night i had the same episode again that means 6 days aftre the second episode, lasted 15-20 minutes, took panadol , had very heavy had all night couldn't really sleep
So i wonder is there anything else I
should investigate as this is the third attack in 10 days. I am relieved that MRI WAS NOT very concerning however I am afraid of the intensity of the pain. Each time happened when i had to run to the toilette, but there was no strain just very loose movement each time , with feeling of urgency
Advise would be appreciated
Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
No

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Thank you for posting your question on Healthcaremagic.
The description that you have given typically fits into a vascular migraine.
The MRI findings are also consistent with it.
There is no need to investigate any further.
Are you on any treatment for migraine despite the symptomatic treatment with paracetamol?
If no I would recommend you to start inderal which is a beta blocker as this is a prescribed drug you will have to consult your PCP and suggest this.
Don't venture out in sunlight, keep yourself well hydrated and avoid caffeinated drinks like tea or coffee.
Only other medication would be ergotamine drugs.
Hope this helps
Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana