What do raised lumps under the armpit indicate?

Dr. Geetika Paul

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello,

I have developed 3 raised lumps under my armpit, 2 of them are 1.5" long and raised, similar size to a cigarette butt. Very red and somewhat painful. When they first appeared 4 days ago I associated them with a change in deodorants, which has caused a rash in the past. These lumps are different than anything prior....
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Folliculitis axilla, maintain local hygiene

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I have seen the attached picture.
You seem to have developed lesions of folliculitis .
Now this is basically an infective condition of the hair follicle .
The lesions in this case tend to be extremely painful , so you should start with the treatment right away.
You should clean the affected area twice a day with lukewarm water. Apply a topical antibiotic cream like neosporin or mupirocin over the lesions after cleaning and drying.
Avoid using deodorants for the time being.
Take some oral anti inflammatory drug like Tylenol along for two to three days so as to reduce swelling.
Since such lesions occur due to increased sweating in hot and humid climate, take care to keep the affected area clean and wear cotton clothes .
In case the lesions tend to persist inspite of treatment or then tend to increase, then you might have to see a local doctor since oral antibiotics have to be given in severe cases .

Dr Geetika Paul