What do prolonged periods when diagnosed with fibroids indicate?

Dr. Timothy Raichle

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 24 Mar 2017 in Women's Health
Question: I have been diagnosed with fibroids. i notice in the past few months, my perioda are getting longer. is there anything I can do for them. i am 45.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please provide some additional information

Detailed Answer:

1. Do you still have the regular periods ?
2. Did you have an ultrasound ? Did they comment on the size of the fibroids ?
3. Are you currently on any medication ?
4. Is there any reason that you cannot be on hormones ?

Awaiting....

Dr. Tim
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Timothy Raichle 10 minutes later
yes just longer no to size just location no meds and no reason for hormones
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Fibroid treatment involves either nothing, hormones, or surgery

Detailed Answer:
Fibroids, as you probably know, are extremely common. They do NOT become cancer but they are associated with heavy, painful periods. They tend to grow unpredictably, but they seem to evolve in women in their mid to late 40's. Their management is relatively straightforward but it might depend on their exact location. You can:

1. Do nothing, knowing that they will not turn into cancer
2. You could go onto birth control pills which would lessen the bleeding or cramping
3. If the fibroids were in the uterine lining, they might be amenable to resection using a camera through the cervix
4. You could pursue a hysterectomy - this is the most definitive way to deal with the fibroid uterus.

Please tell me what other questions you have.
Dr. Tim
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng