What do persistent cough with blood indicate as per the attached X-ray?

Pulmonologist
Question
I have had blood came out from my throat while coughing. I am also suffering from cough since a long time. Doctor suggested chest can Ray. Please find attached the chest x Ray report and guide me on what exactly is the problem with me. I am really scared.
Mon, 14 May 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Chest CT

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome in HCM

I can understand your concern.

The chest x ray is not well visible in attachment.

However regarding your young age the blood with cough might be from lung infections mainly.

However if you were my patient there are two examinations that might be done for this concern:

Chest CT and Bronchoscopy (if needed). Please discuss with your doctor for this

The above examine better your airways to find the site of bleeding and to decide further for the right treatment.

It would be better for you to be hospitalized and for safety too.Please try to be calm because anxiety worsen the situation more.

Do the above and you can attach me them again

Dr.Jolanda

Follow-up: What do persistent cough with blood indicate as per the attached X-ray? 1 hour later
Dear Madam,
Thanks for your response. I will give more information which can be useful in making proper decision.
1. Other than these two issues I don't have any other problems. I am a light smoker who smoke 2-3 cigarettes a day.
2. Blood comes mainly while brushing in the morning.
3. Cough does not remain always. It comes in spells of an hour after every 4-5 days. It goes after an hour and then I feel perfectly healthy. It again comes after 4-5 days that too only for an hour.
4. I have Googled a lot about these symptoms that is why I am scared of. I know I should not have Googled it. My WORST FEAR IS LUNG CANCER OR Any other Malignancy.
5. I am living at a remote place due to work posting, where health facilities are not good. So it will be difficult for me to find CT scan facilities.
6. I am again attaching an image of my x Ray which I have taken with better phone. There are some white areas in right side if you see carefully. These are concerning me. Plz again have a look and guide me.
My doctor only told me about not to worry but it is difficult nit to get worry. I am about to become father in two months. My wife is 7 months pregnant. Plz guide me.

Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
continue discussion

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

If blood comes after brushing your than nothing to worry about.

For lung cancer the examinations i recommended to you are the best choices especially when we have coughing with blood coming from lower airways.

The white ares in chest X ray might be pneumonia and chest CT is the proper test for examine better them

However it is your doctor that knows better your actual situation and will decide about further examinations if needed.

Hope to have been helpful

Dr.Jolanda

Follow-up: What do persistent cough with blood indicate as per the attached X-ray? 16 minutes later
What is the probability of having lung cancer considering my smoking quality, symptoms, and age.

Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
continue discussion

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

It does not exist exact percentage and we can not do such accurate predictions however according to your age,symptoms and light smoking the possibilities are low BUT blood from lower airways (if it is in your case) needs to be exterminated further for excluding some lung diseases causing it.

Regards and feel free to ask me again

Dr.Jolanda

Follow-up: What do persistent cough with blood indicate as per the attached X-ray? 12 hours later
Good morning Madam,
Have you been able to analyse my chest x ray, images of which I have attached. I am getting little doubtful because one friend who works with radiologist said that it is normal x Ray and nothing is there. Request you to please have a look and clear the doubt. Last image which I attached is clearer.

Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
continue discussion

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

Yes i have evaluated it for sure.
No it is not completely normal (as i am able to see it in the photo attached ).However the findings in your chest X Ray are not indicators of lung cancer.

Smoking or air pollution might be the cause.

Dr.Jolanda