question-icon

What do my lab test results indicate?

Posted on Tue, 13 Sep 2016
Question: I am a 61 year old post menopausal woman who was diagnosed with a thickened endometrium of 7mm. Fluid was also seen on the ultrasound. A biopsy showed scant fragments of benign inactive endometrium. No atypia or malignancy found. I was put on progesterone for 10 days. What would the follow-up protocol be?
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
cyclical progesterones for 3 months.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query to HCM,
Its good that there is no atypia or malignancy seen , just endometrial hyperplasia. So you have been rightly placed on progesterones for 10 days to allow endometrial shed after 10 days of treatment. You shall experience some bleeding as withdrawal bleed after finishing the course. Then in the next cycle, again from day 15-25 you would be placed on progesterones for at least next 3 cycles.
Post that a repeat USG shall be done to check the endometrial thickness again which should be less than 3 mm on day 8 of the fresh cycle, after 3 days post bleeding would stop.
If the endometrial hyperplasia continues then the next best step shall be hysterectomy with bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy, considering your age.

Dr. Sameer Kumar

OB and GYN Specialist