What do my lab test results indicate?

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in General Health
Question: Hi Doctor

Trust you remember me from my earlier question. I have uploaded my test results for PCR RNA, HIV Antigen and HIV Antibody tests amongst others. The tests were undertaken 18 days after exposure.

Could you pls review the same and let me know what is the next suggested course of action, as well as the conclusiveness of these results?
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
HIV NEGATIVE.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for query. Welcome back to health care magic.
I have gone through the details and reports.

The risk of transmission of HIV is nil as explained earlier.
HIV RNA PCR is negative and it is 99% sensitive. You are free from HIV with the given description.
Further other antigen and antibodies tests negativity is helpful but they are not conclusive at this stage.

Other tests are also normal.

You can allay fears of HIV.

You can go for HIV 1&2 antibodies tests( Elisa) after 3 months exposure to allay your anxiety.
I do not see need for further HIV tests until post 3 months exposure.

You can get back for any clarification.
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh D Basti
Dermatologist and venereolgist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 43 hours later
Hi Doctor

Many thanks for your timely response. I understand that my exposure was of minimal risk and the negative PCR RNA is also a very positive result. I also understand that the chances of me being HIV positive is now in the lightning strike sort of odds (say 1 in many millions).

However, I would still want to undertake any other test which can more conclusively rule this out as even the current odds are discomforting.

In this regard, based on what I have read online, the most recommended tests are

1) HIV Antibody Tests after 12 weeks of exposure - Deemed to be very accurate (in the 99.9% range)
2) 4th generation HIV Combo (Antigen and Antibody tests) done anytime after 4-5 weeks of exposure - Again deemed to be very accurate (99%+)

My follow on questions hence are as follows

1) Given the above, would you recommend that I get a HIV Combo test done as well say 5 weeks from exposure?
2) The hospital I went to did not have any test by the name of combo or duo? Is the combo test same as say a separate p24 antigen and elisa test for antibody (like the one I have done now as per my reports) or is it a different test? Also, I am not clear on 3rd / 4th generation and other technical terminologies and how that applies to the tests I have done so far
3) Would you know of any place in XXXXXXX where I can get a 4th generation Duo or Combo test done?

Thanks in advance for your response.
Brief Answer:
5 weeks post exposure combo/duo test

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for follow up query.

Thank you for wishes.

You have understood the tests and timing of each test and interpretations well.
You should be happy that you are negative for HIV.

The duo or Combo or 4th generation tests are same. They all measure HIV 1&2 antibodies , and P24 antigen. Whether it is separately measured or as the combo test it is fine. Infact they are separately tested when practically done. So you can get it done after 5 weeks in any of the reputed laboratories as mentioned earlier.

3rd generation tests measure only HIV 1&2 antibodies. They do not measure HIV antigen.

You can get back for any clarification.
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh D Basti
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 16 minutes later
Thanks again Doctor. So based on the above I will go to the same lab (Manipal hospitals) and undertake an Elisa antibody and separate p24 antigen as was done for the current set of reports.

Thanks again.
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
YES.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for follow up query.
Yes. You can ask for 4th generation Elisa test or separately as mentioned.
Wish you safe and good health.
You can get back for any clarification.
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh D Basti