• question-icon

What do my lab test results indicate?

Posted on Fri, 27 May 2016 in Kidney Conditions
Question: Hi
My test result on the 14 th January showed creatine 1.2
A later test on the 1st March was 1.54 on the 22nd , 24th and 25 th of February I rode a bicycle on average 70 kms per day could this be the reason the test was high even though it's 4days after. I'm a 70 year old male
Regards XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
High creatinine

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

Slightly high creatinine can be seen in patients after strenuous physical activities and dehydration. Muscle injury can cause the release of toxins which causes reversible damage to the kidneys, these toxins are known as myoglobins.
Here is what you should do

1. Do not engage in strenuous activities for the next two weeks
2. Keep yourself well hydrated, drink at least 3 litres of water per day unless contraindicated for other reasons
3. Do not ignore the rise in creatinine, please get it rechecked after a week. I also recommend getting urine routine and urine for myoglobin.
4. Avoid red meat and follow a low salt diet
5. Watch out for blood-stained urine, development of puffiness of face and leg edema
6.If you are currently taking any medicine please get back to me with the lest so that I can let you know if it needs to be discontinued
7. Avoid painkillers and medications from herbal extracts

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist