What causes severe body tremors leading to rapid breathing and syncope?

Posted on Thu, 10 May 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: So I have tremors leading to a a twitch that then leads to a full on body seize. I twitch really fast. I breath really hard. I just repeat something over again, I’m confused, and my world goes black, and I can hear but it sounds like it is under water. Then my body finally relaxes. And I go back to my heavy shaking. What is going on? And what do I do
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Anxiety disorder most likely.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

Fortunately from that description there doesn't seem to be any indication of a brain lesion. The symptoms do not correspond to a particular brain area. They are not typical of seizures given the preserved consciousness either. Peripheral nerve conditions are to be excluded given the changes in breathing pattern and that feeling you describe.
Some cheap routine blood tests might be done to check for and exclude metabolic abnormalities such as alterations in blood glucose, liver and kidney conditions, electrolyte panel, creatine kinase levels and thyroid function.

However the most likely diagnosis in my opinion is anxiety with panic attacks. The combination of symptoms which doesn't fit into a particular brain or other organ damage, the shaking, breathing changes, the feeling of being disassociated etc they all are very typical for an anxiety disorders and if those blood tests result normal would be the probable cause.

As for what to do .... management would consist in psychotherapy and medication. Of course it is preferred to start with psychotherapy and only if that fails medication may be added. Apart from psychotherapy light or moderate physical activity and yoga are also beneficial.
When it comes to medication antidepressants are usually the first choice in chronic anxiety treatment. There are several alternatives, to make more specific recommendations you should first provide some more details starting with your age and other conditions which are important in choosing treatment.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist