• question-icon

What do my lab test reports indicate?

Posted on Thu, 7 Sep 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My dad has pain in both right and left hip joints. We took X-ray and MRI that confirmed that right hip joint is damaged than the left hip joint, and doctor suggested BMAC procedure will be more effective than the hip joint replacement. Considering BMAC procedure is relatively new procedure, we were confused that how effective it will be and which is a good option for us?

My dad is 54 years old. I have attached the blood test and X-ray report. And previous medication he was taking. Please help me out.
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
BMAC procedure have shown very encouraging results for treatment of osteoat

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HealthcareMagic

I have not been able to see the Xrays or reports attached.You can attach the necessary documents in the reports section with the question.

Bone marrow aspirate concentrate(BMAC) procedure is done by collection bone marrow aspirate containing stem cells into the joint to promote new cartilage, bone and blood vessel formation.
Even though it is a relatively new procedure, the availbe data shows that BMAC procedure shows good results. The procedure is minimally invasive, have less adverse effects and recovery time when compared to total hip replacement surgery.
It is definitely worth giving BMAC a try rather than directly going to hip replacement.

Hope this answers your questions
Please address further questions here
Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 1 hour later
Dear Dr. Lekshmi,

Thank you very much for your great reply. Sorry, I tried to attach last time, it went through. Now I am attaching it again. Now I have attached my dad's report and his previous medications. Could you, please, go through the report and let me know if BMAC is still a good option for his current condition?

I have few more questions hope you would clarify that.

I would like to know about the recovery process after BMAC procedure. Usually, how long it takes BMAC to work and what is the probability of success ? How long he needs to be at rest and when he can travel? He is planning to travel abroad to USA in a month. Would think he can travel 3 weeks after his BMAC procedure in flight?

Thanks and best regards,
Venky
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer

Detailed Answer:
Hello again XXXXXXX
Thank you for attaching the reports.

Your dad's report indicates Avascular necrosis of femoral head, which is the destruction of head of the femur due to decrease in blood supply.
BMAC is a new and excellent procedure for treatment of Avascular necrosis of femoral head. Since it is a relatively new procedure extensive data is not yet available. However, the available data indicate 75-80% success rate and improvement within the first 2-3 months of treatment.

The procedure is simple. Requires about 2-3 hours.The incision will be less than an inch only. You can go back home on the same day or next day. Antibiotics will be given to prevent infection. You can start walking soon after the procedure using crutches. You will probably need crutches for 6 weeks. You can travel as soon as you feel comfortable and the pain has decreased which is possible in 2-3 weeks for most people.
You will have to follow up with your orthopedician at 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months and 12 months for undergoing repeat Xray and assessment of improvement. Your doctor may suggest physical therapy if there is need to strengthen muscles.

Hope this answers your questions
Please address further questions here
Dr.Lekshmi

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 48 hours later
Hello Dr. Lekshmi,
Thank you very much for your precise response. We are quite convinced and going ahead with doing BMAC procedure for my dad. I have one last question. My dad also have same issue on left hip as well, but it is less intense. What would you suggest in term of treating further on the left? Would you think we can do BMAC on the right hip, and then do it on the left hip later?
Please advise.
Thank you very much again!
Best regards,
Venky
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer

Detailed Answer:
Hello again XXXXXXX and You are welcome,

Glad to hear that you have decided to proceed with BMAC. Since your father's right hip is affected more, it is better to do the procedure on the right side first. Once he has responded well, then BMAC can be done on left hip too. Doing the procedure on both hips simultaneously can make the recovery process more difficult and longer.

Hope this answers your questions
Please address further questions here
Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 23 hours later
Hello Dr. Lekshmi,
Thank you very much again for all your helpful information and suggestions. I will contact you again if I need further help/advise.
Best regards,
Venky
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
You are most welcome and thank you for trusting us with your health question
Please do follow up if you need any further clarifications. Always happy to help

Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal