What do my lab test reports indicate?
In November 2014 she fainted and hurt her hand. She was hospitalized for a day and her CT scan, ECG all came normal. Her blood pressure was little above the normal limit.After a year she again fainted last week (2/19/2016) and she was unconscious for about 10 minutes and during the time we did not see any obvious sign of seizure. She was kind of had a heavy breathe. We took her to hospital and ran CT scan, ECG, Blood pressure and Echocardiogram. All came fine.
During both the episodes, she mentioned that she never had any symptoms like nausea, dizziness /light headed or anything to indicate that she might faint.This makes me to think that this may not be an issue because of blood pressure, may be something else? Some serious heart condition?or seizure ?
All the Scan documents are attached.(year 2016 and 2014).
1.LOSMOG-H(losartan potassium and hydrochlorothiazide tablets) for Blood pressure for past 1 year she is taking.
2.Atormog-10(Atorvastatin tablets -10mg) for cholesterol for past 1 year she is taking.
3.Torvate chrono (this tablet advised by doctor on last week admission in hospital)
We appreciate your feedback and setting us in right direction to diagnose this issue.
Treatment is going on correctly.
Thank you for posting your query.
I have noted your mother's symptoms and test reports.
I agree with her current treatment. The most likely cause of her symptoms is seizures. All tests may come out as normal in seizures. Torvate chrono (sodium valproate) is an anti-seizure medication, which would reduce the chance of future seizures and fainting episodes.
If symptoms recur despite the use of torvate chrono, then, we would need to exclude a diagnosis of neurocardiogenic syncope. In this condition, the blood flow to brain reduces for short while due to low BP usually in sitting or standing position. This condition can be excluded by doing a HUTT (head up tilt test).
I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.
Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in
1.What are tests to be carried to eliminate this fainting has nothing to do with any heart conditions (currently ECG and ECHO has taken and reports are clear).
2.LOSMOG-H(losartan potassium and hydrochlorothiazide tablets) for Blood pressure for past 1 year she is taking.Will hydrochlorothiazide making her sodium and potassium low??(please refer report attached previously) whether this can cause side effects like this fainting?
3.My mother fainted 2 times in last 13 months.can we go for testing neurocardiogenic syncope by doing a HUTT (head up tilt test) in order to check that possibility also.
We appreciate your feedback and setting us in right direction to diagnose this issue in better.
HUTT test is needed.
Thank you for getting back.
1. To eliminate the possibility of heart disease, HUTT test (Head up tilt test) and Holter test should be done.
2. Hydrochlorothiazide can cause low sodium or potassium. However, that is not the cause of her fainting. As per reports, her sodium level is almost normal.
3. Yes, HUTT test should be done.
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
1. what are the side effects of Torvate chrono tablet? my mother taking 2 tablets per day currently. is it preferable to take this tablet on long term basis. or it can reduced to weekly once or twice?. need your advice.
2.Currently treatment is focusing towards seizures.Is any tests available related to brain to re conform its seizures?.what are tests your suggesting in related to brain for sudden fainting?
Torvate chrono is safe.
Thank you for getting back.
Torvate chrono is safe in long term and should be continued at current dose.
Regarding seizures, two tests are needed- MRI Brain and EEG. We should note that tests may be normal in some patients with seizures.
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Done tmt test what does the reports indicate
- Blood test done what does the report indicate
- Ovulation test done what does the report indicate
- Ecg test lab report
- What does this lab test report mean
- What does #39pus vulgaris#39 indicate in a lab report
- Liver test done what does a lab test report suggest
- What does my lab test report suggest
- What does the test report indicate
- Lab tests done what are the findings in the report