Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

What do lumps on bilateral forearm indicate?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 6186 Questions
I have several lumps on bilateral forearm. the lump located on the upper forearm is very painful and when pressed on it causes my fingers to go numb. I have been seeing my ortho doctor, he believes the lumps may be lipomas, I also am having a lot of pain on my thumbs, wearing spica thumb splints, cortisone shot, but the pain is really bad. Its been going on for about one month and the pain is not getting any better. I see my ortho again next week but the pain is very bad. Do you think these lipomas may be causing such pain or numbness in hands?
Wed, 26 Mar 2014 in Lump
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Yes, lipomas can cause these pains Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I a so sorry to hear of all these symptoms that you have been experiencing and these lumps. Lipoma is a fatty tissue collection. Lipomas are generally painless but if they should occur next to a nerve, it would compress the nerve and cause pains. Nerve pains would often resemble electric pains and travel all the distance to the various parts of the body supplied by this nerve. Because of the numbness you get when you press on this lump, it is clear that it is next to a nerve. I will suggest that you get these lipomas removed. I am pretty confident this would relief you of these symptoms. The surgeon should be very careful during this procedure because of the risk of injuring the nerve that lies close to this lipoma. I hope this helps and provides enough information for you to act on. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more clarifications and information if need be. Dr. Ditah, MD.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a General Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor