What do elevated liver enzymes indicate?

Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: AST score is 334
ALT score is 235
GGT score is 176
how bad is this, scores were rec'd 1 week ago, is cirrhosis a strong probability with these numbers
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ultrasound is needed to exclude cirrhosis.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX
Thanks for writing to HCM

I have gone through your reports in detail.
Increased ALT and GGT indicates liver injury.
Increase in ALT may be due to many reasons like hepatitis,alcohol intake,altered lipid profile,medicines,auto immune causes etc.
Increased AST is non specific and it increases in many conditions.
You need proper clinical examination.

You need few more investigations like random blood sugar(RBS),renal function test(RFT),Lipid profile,viral markers,complete liver function test,urine RE/ME.
You also need Ultrasound of abdomen and prothrombin time (PT).

You should avoid fatty and fried food.

For conditions like you, I suggest my patients to take tablet Ursodeoxycholic acid 300 mg twice daily for three months. It help in regeneration of liver cells.
Patient should also take vitamin B complex capsules once daily.

You should avoid alcohol if you take it.

Please get at least ultrasound of abdomen done.Ultrasound of abdomen is important to know the condition of liver.

It is not possible to comment about cirrhosis from these findings.Ultrasound of abdomen is needed to comment upon liver status.
Elastography of liver can be done if needed.It is done to assess the elasticity of liver.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX