What could the fatty bump on ankle be?

General Surgeon
Question
I have noticed a fatty bump about and inch above the outside of my right ankle. It seems to disappear when I flex my foot upwards and is most noticeable when I'm standing. It fells slightly sore, I have injured my ankle several time in the past, so my ankle does pop continually and it does get sore after running or doing a lot of jumping. I have an appt Thursday but I'm freaking myself out, any insight on what this could be?
Posted Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Lump

Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
could be a bursitis or joint effusion

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HealthcareMagic.

Repeated injuries to any joint, and specially a weight bearing joint can be very dangerous.

As per your description of your swelling, its more likely to be a bursa and the soreness suggests that it has got infected too. Other possibility is of joint effusion following repeated trauma to it.

I would suggest that you show it to an orthopedic for a proper clinical evaluation and further management.

And till your appointment, stop any running or jumping or anything that puts strain on the joint. And wrap a creps bandage over it for support.

Hope i have been helpful.

Dr. Ashish Verma