What could the fatty bump on ankle be?

Dr. Ashish Verma

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Lump
Question: I have noticed a fatty bump about and inch above the outside of my right ankle. It seems to disappear when I flex my foot upwards and is most noticeable when I'm standing. It fells slightly sore, I have injured my ankle several time in the past, so my ankle does pop continually and it does get sore after running or doing a lot of jumping. I have an appt Thursday but I'm freaking myself out, any insight on what this could be?
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
could be a bursitis or joint effusion

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HealthcareMagic.

Repeated injuries to any joint, and specially a weight bearing joint can be very dangerous.

As per your description of your swelling, its more likely to be a bursa and the soreness suggests that it has got infected too. Other possibility is of joint effusion following repeated trauma to it.

I would suggest that you show it to an orthopedic for a proper clinical evaluation and further management.

And till your appointment, stop any running or jumping or anything that puts strain on the joint. And wrap a creps bandage over it for support.

Hope i have been helpful.

Dr. Ashish Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D