Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
137 Doctors are Online

What could be the cause of reduced sensation in perenium area ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 504 Questions
Hi! I have a problem with my penis or actually it is the anus. The symptoms I have is less sensation in the perineum area. I dont get sexually aroused like I used to, and I have less sensation during orgasm and I think the sperm looks different.I can get erection while touching the penis but the sensation is weaker. It all started directly over a year ago . I was drunk and I took a light against my anus and farted. I felt it burnt inside anus so I threw the light away. After the accident I felt immediately that something was gone. But I don't have any pain. I finally went seeing a doctor a couple of weeks ago, and he thought it could be a nerve damage in anus so he sent me to an neurologist. But Im not going there untill next month so I would like a answer to if its possible to burn nerves in anus that affects sensation in penis? Or could it be something else I burnt?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 30 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

Decreased sensation in the perineum is due to reduced functioning of the sacral nerves (S1-S3). These nerves in addition to the sensory supply to the perineum also control the erections, bowel control and urinary bladder control.

You have not mentioned anything about urinary problems, bowel problems or weakness or sensory problems in the legs. I assume these are not seen in you.

So it looks like you have problem in the sacral nerves. We need to find out what is the reason for malfunctioning of these. These nerves are close to the anus but deeper from the skin. If you did not have any pain after the light then I think it has not caused obvious damage to the structures there.

So I feel it is not related to the light and is something more. You may need MRI of the sacral spine to look into the nerves. We need to test you and see if you have additional problems in the urinary bladder and legs.

So you have to wait till the neurologist conducts tests on you.

I hope I have answered your query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What could be the cause of reduced sensation in perenium area ? 81 days later
Thanks for answer.
I havent seen the neurologist yet. But Im going there 12th of december.
No. I dont have any problems with bowel, urinary or weakness, sensory problems in the legs.

Actually I broke my back and neck in spring 2009. But Im fully recovered and I didnt have any problems with my penis after that. The accident with the light was in march 2010, Im 99,9% sure that the "penis problem" is caused by the light incident because the problem started immidiately after.
The muscle movement in the perineum area somehow feels weaker to the right than to the left, I can feel that with my hand on that area. And I have also tried to put a finger in anus and touch the glanse of the penis at the same time, I felt it little bit itchy in anus to the right. But I can feel the anus muscles contracts!
But I think the damage is deeper. I have no idea how long inside anus it could have burnt, or if it is burnt.
But do you think it is possible that I am sterile because of this? that is what scares me the most. Because often I think the sperm looks/feels different and it does not come out in the same "speed" as before. If you understand what I mean.

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 5 hours later
Thanks for getting back to me.

If the nerves to the penis are damaged XXXXXXX in the perineum it can cause problems in erection as well as ejaculation. Only scan of the perineum can tell us if the damage is XXXXXXX in the perineum. As suggested earlier by me consultation with Neurologist as well as Urologist help in localization of the problem and further management.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor