What could be the cause of a pea size lump at the back of the neck after undergoing treatment for fever, low TLC and platelet counts in a 9- year old child ?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 28 Aug 2018 in Child Health
Question: My son is 9 year old,last week 29.01.2018 he had fever of 101.2,doctor advice for blood test in which his tlc is 3800 low(normal value 4000-11000) platelets-134000 low(normal value150000-450000)doctor gave him antibiotic and advise for repeat blood test(cbc) after 3 days,his fever gone after one day and blood test report done on 1.2.2018 show tlc-4000,hemogram-12.7, which is normal but his platelets level is 127000 (low) but my reason of concern is that from yesterday i have noticed a pea size lump on back of his neck on both side which can not seen outside but feel by touching of finger,he had fungal infection( or some thing else)on back of neck from 2-3 weeks due to that he scratching back of neck regularly,doctor said whether this lump is due to scratching regularly by him on back of neck or due to dandruff in hair.he said no need to worry.but i feel worrisome that what is reason of that lump on back of his neck
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please upload an image

Detailed Answer:

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. The treatment has been proper and the subsequent TLC (total leucocyte count) is good enough. However, I would insist you to upload an image of the lump. It will help me to comment on whether it is something to be concerned about.

I will await your response. Let me know if I could help further.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 40 minutes later
Sir,this pea size lump on both side of back of the neck can not be seen by eyes but can feel by touching finger on his neck .this image only show some fungal infection
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry

Detailed Answer:
I have checked the attached images. I believe that the redness is due to the pressure that you have applied with your fingers. Going by the description, it seems that the lump is a swollen lymph node. It is possibly due to a local soft tissue infection draining into a node. It does not seem to be a cause for concern and nothing needs to be done about it. It may be there for some time and may take time to go away. No need to worry.

Regards.
Dr. Diptanshu Das