What causes yellowish shredded stools followed by diarrhea in a GERD patient?
Recently I have had pale/yellowish, shredded stools for a few days. As soon as I flush the stools would instantly disintegrate into nothing. Then that was followed up with yellow diarrhea one time.
I have been getting weird stools where the outside is pale, but the inside of the stool is normal brown color. I have attached a photo of my latest bowel movement that shows this. I have been getting this stool type for some time now where it may have patches of paleness or entirely pale on the outside, but it is mostly brown on the inside.
This has been going on now for several months. I eat relatively healthy and do have other health issues I am not sure could be related. I have GERD acid reflux among other conditions.
Should I be concerned?
Hi and thank you for asking!
I review your stool photo and I can say as follows:
1. You are reporting to have GERD and I need to know If you are using PPI's drugs or antacids because it may be related with drug side effects.
2. The color of the stools is highly related with the bowel movement speed. So it cases like loose stools or fast bowel movement the color of the stool are pale.
3. Otherwise as I have seen on photo your consistency and color is till called normal.
To my opinion there is nothing to be worried. Meantime I suggest to change lifestyle like:
- use plenty of water
- avoid fatty and sugar foods
- avoid spicy foods, alcohol
- avoid unnecessary stress.
Hope it was helpful to you.
I do not take any medication regularly for my GERD. I may take Prilosec on occasion but have not in recent days.
I drink 2-3 liters of water a day.
I do not eat sugar foods or consume practically no sugar.
I do not drink alcohol.
I do eat spicy foods on occasion.
My main concern is the pale colorization of the skin or outside of the feces where it almost looks gray, but the inside appears to be normal color. Sometimes they will have gray patches on the outside but look normal aside from that.
Would this be considered clay-coloured and should I be worried about that? Does it have to be clay all the way through and not just the skin of the feces?
If it is not considered clay-coloured then what is causing the gray patches on the outside of the feces?
Sorry for my late.
With regards to the causes of clay colored stools the main causes of them is gallbladder issues such stones or sludge on it.
Otherwise as I said early your color stool is not properly clay colored since it has normal color inside.
Otherwise to rule out the most common cause of clay colored stools I would recommend to do abdominal ultrasound to check out gallbladder and biliary tree.
Hope it was helpful to you.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes mucus in stool with on and off diarrhea
- Gerd causes
- What causes diarrhea and mucas in stools
- What causes brown saliva while waking up in gerd patient
- Gerd causes arm numbness
- Whats problem gerd causes
- What is the cause and treatment for gerd
- Stool softener cause diarrhea
- What causes diarrhea and string like things in stool
- What causes abdominal pain with diarrhea and bloody stool