What causes white patches inside mouth?

Dr. Geetika Paul

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: docter have white patches inside my mouth or cheek like small lesions since 2009 .It does not go away.I have shown to dentist and done oral bipsy four year back. But there is no bacteria growth. It does not pain but not going away. I have gone to docter few days back he has give me dicuflan 50 mg once day for one week. Whether candida last for years. I have taken two capsules but no effect. can i upload photographs
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please provide pictures

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same.

Can you please upload some pictures of the oral lesions?
Also please tell if the lesions are static or they are increasing? Do they ever heal up completely too?
Which all areas of mouth are affected? Tongue, buccal mucosa, gums?
Is there no discomfort?
Do you have any dental fillings?
Any other treatments you have taken in the past?
What was the biopsy report?

I am sure I will be able to help you more once you provide me the above details and the pictures .

Dr Geetika Paul
Follow up: Dr. Geetika Paul 5 minutes later
Also please tell if the lesions are static or they are increasing? Not increasing
Do they ever heal up completely too? No
Which all areas of mouth are affected? Basically corners and check
Tongue, buccal mucosa, gums? Is there no discomfort? No pain on cheek
Do you have any dental fillings? No
Any other treatments you have taken in the past? No
What was the biopsy report? Negative
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please upload pictures

Detailed Answer:
Please attach some close up pictures of the oral lesions.
I would like to have a look at them.

If you are unable to upload, you can mail them at YYYY@YYYY with heading as ref to Dr Geetika Paul.

Dr Geetika Paul
Follow up: Dr. Geetika Paul 2 hours later
Attach photographs and report
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need for alternative antifungal agents

Detailed Answer:
Hi again
I have seen the laryngoscopy images.
You basically have a chronic candidal infection.
Since you have just started with a course of oral fluconazole , I would advise you to continue with the seven day course.
Also I would advise you to get a blood glucose assessment done to rule out diabetes .
If this infection tends to persist even after a complete course of fluconazole , I would advise you to discuss regarding the option of other antifungals like itraconazole with your treating doctor. This antifungal agent has been found to be effective in patients who are resistant to fluconazole .

Dr Geetika Paul
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj